ഗൂഗിള് അടുത്ത ഒരു വന് സംഭവവുമായി രംഗത്ത് വന്നിരിക്കുന്നു. ഓഫ്ലൈന് ഗൂഗിള് മാപ്സ്.
അച്ഛന് : “നീ ശരിക്കും എന്ത് ജോലിയാ ചെയ്യുന്നത്?”
തികച്ചും ന്യായമായ ഒരു ചോദ്യം!
അച്ഛന് : “ഈ കമ്പൂട്ടര് പടിച്ചവന്മാരോക്കെ വലിയ ശമ്പളം ഒക്കെ വാങ്ങി കാണിക്കുന്ന പോരുകള്ക്ക് ഒരു അരമ്പാതവും ഇല്ലല്ലോ… നീയൊക്കെ ശരിക്കും എന്ത് ജോലിയാ ചെയ്യുന്നത്?”
Part of this article is found on the net and seemed interesting. May be useful for our fellow trekkers/riders.
I recently bought a Nokia 5800 and asked if the shop keeper could install Garmin XT for me. Guess what? He wants to charge RM 80 (USD 20) for that!
It turns out, it is pretty tough considering my lack of expertise when it comes to Symbian OS phones. I spent 3 days experimenting all possibilities to make it work on my phone. Since it took a lot of my time, I’m going to save yours by teaching you.
Before you do anything, Download the file (80 mb ++) and read all the instructions before hand. It’ll help you to visualize the process.
Download file contains
* gmapsupp.img (Malaysian Map, with DUKE highway)
Note: You can skip part 1.
1. Setting up Apparatus, The Nokia 5800
1. Back up all data using PC Suite (go to Nokia website).
2. Soft reset by pressing *#7370#. Should take about 2-3 mins and you lose all your data (except on memory card). But don’t worry, you have back up remember?
3. On your Nokia 5800, go to Application > Location > Positioning > Positioning Methods. Enable “Assisted GPS” and “Integrated GPS” ONLY. This will ensure you don’t get charge using WAP or 3G network for Internet.
4. Go to Application > Location > GPS Data > Position > Options > Satellite status. This will show the satellite signals you’re receiving. Be sure you are outdoor in an open area. Balcony doesn’t work well, believe me I’ve tried. Once you’ve got AT LEAST 4 satellite signal, go back indoor, you don’t want people to think you’re crazy, waving your phone around.
5. Now you’re ready for GarminXT.
2. Installing GarminXT on Nokia 5800.
1. Once you’ve downloaded, unzip the files to someplace accessible preferably on your desktop. If you haven’t, please download it.
2. Connect your phone via USB and select ‘Mass storage mode’.
3. From you PC, double click “GarminMobileXTforSymbianS603rdEdition_50040.exe” to install and wait.
4. Double click “GarminMobileXTFreeBasemap_4xxxx.exe” to install. Wait..
5. Double click “GarminMobileXTSupportFiles_4xxxx.exe” to install.
6. Remove USB connection between PC and phone. When prompted ‘Launch GarminXT’ do not click Yes, just Cancel.
7. From your phone, go to Menu > Settings > Application Manager > Installation files. There should be GarminXT.sis file. Install it.
3. Cracking GarminXT on Nokia 5800.
1. Tell yourself and say “Yes, I’m a cheapskate”.
2. Run GarminXT from your phone at Menu > Application > Garmin. It will prompt you with some settings. Choose your preferable.
3. Select “Use other device” when it prompts you to buy or trial. You will get a screen, “Where To?” and “View map”
4. In GarminXT, go to Tools > Settings > About. Jot down “Card ID”, you will need it. Exit GarminXT
5. On your PC, run “garmin_kgen.exe” and enter the “Card ID” from previous steps.
6. Generate it and you will get a string of codes. Copy the codes to Notepad and save it as “sw.unl”. *Be sure you don’t save it as sw.unl.txt”*
7. Connect your phone to PC and select “Mass storage mode”.
8. Copy “sw.unl” to Garmin folder. Usually located at E:/Garmin.
9. Copy “gmapsupp.img” from downloaded file to Garmin folder. “gmapsupp.img” is the Malaysian map.
10. Disconnect your phone from PC.
4. Restore your Nokia 5800
1. Reconnect your phone via PC Suite.
2. Restore your settings through back up.
5. Setting up GarminXT on Nokia 5800
1. You don’t need your PC anymore. Shut down and conserve energy.
2. Run GarminXT on your phone.
3. Go to Tools > Settings > System > Remote GPS. Change to “Use Attached GPS” by disabling the “Bluetooth GPS”.
4. Go to Tools > Manage My Data > Map Sets > MapSource. Make sure all maps are enabled.
6. Toying GarminXT on Nokia 5800.
1. Switch off your fans and lights. Go out.
2. Run GarminXT, (duh!).
3. Select “View Map” and wait for a while. The satellite will find you. It took me 5 mins or so. Just have patience and faith.
4. Now you’ll see where you are.
5. Go back and select “Where To?”. If you’re at home and wants GarminXT to store you current location as home, then select “Home”
6. “Where To?” is rather confusing. I usually use “Where To?” > Point of interest. There’s lots of shopping malls, hospitals, banks, ATM machines etc. from there, you’d know where to go.
7. Pat yourself and say “Well done”. The rest is up to you.
Note: I will NOT be providing support. If it doesn’t work for you, you can leave a comment and hope someone will rescue you. Google it!
~part – 2~
Here is something that I found myself googling and experiments…
How to install Indian map in Garmin Mobile XT
You can download the Indian Map from this torrent: http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5272640/Garmin_MapSource_City_Navigator_India_2009.30_img_version
Steps to follow (This is what I did!):
- Connect mobile to PC in Mass Storage mode. Go to: ComputerNokia 5800 XpressMusicMemory cardGarmin
- There will be two .img files GMAPBMAP.IMG-Base map and GMAPSUPP.IMG-Malaysian map (which comes with the installation)
- Download the indian map image from the torrent.
- Rename it to: GMAPSUP2.IMG
- Copy to ComputerNokia 5800 XpressMusicMemory cardGarmin
- Safely disconnect mobile from PC.
- Run the Garmin KeyGen.exe in PC. Type your UnitID (already know where is this. See the first post)
- First, click generate for software unlock code.
- Select map product as custom mapset.
- It will show a dialog box. Type the FID as 281
- Generate map unlock code.
- Copy the newly generated code and save it in GMAPSUP2.unl
- Copy to ComputerNokia 5800 XpressMusicMemory cardGarmin
- Enter the two codes in Garmin XT when asked (better save these in a text file.)
- Good to go. You are done!!
Image courtesy: http://gpszone.ro/infusions/pro_download_panel/images/55.jpg
താങ്കളുടെ കയ്യില് ഒരു കാനണ് കാമറ ഉണ്ടോ? എങ്കില് ആ പവര്ഷോട്ടിനെ കൂടുതല് പവര് ഉള്ളതാക്കൂ!
ഇത് എനിക്ക് ഒരു ഫോര്വാര്ഡായി വന്നതാണ്. ബൂലോകത്തില് ആര്ക്കെങ്കിലും ഉപകാരപ്പെട്ടാല് അടിയേന് ധന്യനായി 🙂
I recently started using the canon hacked firmware for canon cameras called chdk, It is a really awesome 3rd party firmware that allows you to use your point and shoot (canon only) to the fullest.
Auto exp bracketing, auto iso bracketing, shooting in RAW mode, shutter speeds manual controls (upto 1000 seconds for my camera! I can’t even imagine capturing star trails on my p&s , planning to try it today!) , and really cool stuff like read text files and use your camera to even play games!! The full list goes like :
- RAW – CHDK can record raw files, giving you access to every bit of data the sensor saw, without compression or processing. Raw files can be manipulated on the camera, or processed on your PC. CHDK also has experimental support for the open DNG raw standard.
- Override Camera parameters – Exposures from 64s to 1/60,000s with flash sync. Full manual or priority control over exposure, aperture, ISO and focus.
- Bracketing – Bracketing is supported for exposure, aperture, ISO, and even focus.
- Video Overrides – Control the quality or bitrate of video, or change it on the fly.
- Scripting – Control CHDK and camera features using ubasic and Lua scripts. Enables time lapse, motion detection, advanced bracketing, and much more. Many user-written scripts are available on the forum and wiki.
- Motion detection – Trigger exposure in response to motion, fast enough to catch lightning.
- Edge overlay – Detect the edges in a scene, and display them later. Ideal for timelapses, stop-motion, stereography and much more.
- Live Histogram – CHDK includes a customizable, live histogram display, like those typically found on more expensive cameras.
- Zebra-Mode – Displays under and overexposure areas live on the screen.
- GRIDS – Create custom grids and display whichever one suits your shooting conditions.
- Multi-Lingual Interface – CHDK supports about 22 languages, and adding more languages is simple.
- DOF Calculator – Display detailed DOF information on the screen.
- Customizable OSD – Improved display of battery status, free space, camera parameters, and much more. Fully customizable with an on-screen editor.
- Filebrowser – Manage files without a PC.
- Textreader – Display text files on your camera.
- Games – Play Reversi, Sokoban, Mastermind or 4-in-a-Row on your camera.
- USB remote – Simple DIY remote allows you to control your camera remotely.
- Benchmark – Compare the performance of your SD cards.
- User Menu – Edit your own customizable User-Menu for fast access to often used features.
Check out chdk at http://is.gd/ZJQo
The best part is the firmware boots from your memory card so your waranty doesnt really get voided and you can switch back to default firmware by just removing the memory card or turning its lock to off mode!!
What are you waiting for ? Go hack your canon point and shoot and get more control! Good luck!
ഞാന് ഇന്നിത് വച്ച് പണിയും… നിങ്ങളും തുടങ്ങിക്കോ… ഓകേ എന്നാല്… സലാം
സന്തോഷ് (അഥവാ പൊന്നമ്പലം)